Home Inspection Tips for the Buyer*
THE CONTRACT SETS THE RULES FOR THE INSPECTION
* Understand paragraph 21 of the agreement of sale.
* Review the definition of a “major defect”: A deficiency that causes an item to be unsafe or not
perform its intended function.
* The seller is NOT required to correct “maintenance items”
*There will be minor problems the seller won’t have to fix.
ATTEND THE INSPECTION
* You will learn many worthwhile things about the property.
FURTHER INSPECTIOIN COSTS ARE RESPONSIBILITY OF BUYER
* Home inspectors are “generalists” and often call for further evaluation by specialists (i.e. roof/hvac)
* The buyer must pay the additional inspection costs.
FOLLOW UP INSPETIONS MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN TIME FRAME
* Do inspections right away! It can be difficult to have a specialist complete inspection at the last
* If all inspections are not completed by the dates in the contract, the issue is waived.
DATES FOR RESPONSES MUST BE STRICTLY FOLLOWED
* DON’T MISS DUE DATES. If major defects are not reported to seller by the date listed in the
contract, home inspection contingency may be waived.
BRING THE SELLER’S DISCLOSER FORM TO THE INSPECTION
* Review the seller’s disclosure in advance and have a copy ready in case an issue is raised by the
* Depending on the circumstances, the seller may not be required to correct previously fully disclosed
THE CONTRACT ADDENDUM SHOULD BE SPECIFIC
* Under the agreement of sale, the seller has the right to choose who performs the repairs. If the
buyer wants a certain contractor to do the repairs, it should be agreed to by the seller in the addendum.
* Under the contract, the seller is required to provide written proof of completion 2 days before
closing. DON’T WAIT TILL SETTLEMENT TO DISCOVER A PROBLEM. At that point, options are limited.
*reprinted with permission of Ward and Taylor
Preferred Home Inspections Service Area:
- Wilmington, DE
- New Castle, DE
- Newark, DE
- Greenville, DE
- Hockessin, DE
- Kennett Square, PA
- West Chester, PA
- Chadds Ford, PA
- Boothwyn, PA
- Garnett Valley, PA